Friday, January 21, 2011

You can sleep when you're dead!

I did quite like today. I got to help people, which is awesome. I also got to really teach a student who was struggling with a concept. Most of my TA work ends up being pointing out solution methods or quick fixes, but today I really had to teach, and I loved it.

Unfortunately, writing quality seems to go down for me as the night wears on, and it is already half past two, so I'm not getting much out tonight, I don't think. However, I can go on a random journey of words for a bit.

As I typed, "night wears on," I was unsure if that was the correct usage of the word "wear". So, I looked up the definition. The most applicable definition was, "deteriorate through use or stress." I suppose that means we could all say we wear excessively. However, that definition seems incomplete based on common usage. More accurate could be, "deteriorate through use or stress toward being," as in, "I begin to wear thin," which would become, "I deteriorate through stress toward being thin." Dictionaries probably avoid my awkward definition for a good reason, though. Direct substitution is never correct in the English language in any case, as each word brings with it the history of the word, and therefore the proper contexts and connotations associated with it. As such, choosing the right word is most crucial when wanting to convey thoughts with precision.

Apparently I can act like I know something about words (while misspelling appearantly apparantly apparently three times). Of course, Lynnae can box me about my ears without trying, as can most I've met. P.S. Shout-out to my newest and first non-Provoian follow, Emily Hsieh! How'a'ya' doin'? (That's really how I'd say it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment