Sunday, January 30, 2011

What are we fighting for?

So, I was thinking about this quote from the Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers:

Sam: "It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. 'Cause sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How can the world go back to the way it was, when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing. A shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant somethin', even if you were to small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances in turning back; only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding onto to something."
Frodo: "What are we holding onto, Sam?"
Sam: "That there's some good left in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

Now, I don't claim to be at all wise or anything, but I felt like this was rather applicable, perhaps in all our lives. I know many of you hear how I talk about myself. But, as you're a reader of my blog, I'l let you in on a little secret: I don't really think I'm that great. Of course, I get to see all the little mistakes I make that no one else sees. In any case, I've liked this quote for a long time, but in church today a slight modification came to my mind (perhaps inspiration; I'll let you decide) that said, "There's come good left in you, ant that's worth fighting for."

I hope we can all remember that. When you're feeling down on yourself, and you don't know if there's even anything left to work towards, remember that there is still good inside you, and you personally. In my mission prep class, Brother Bott said that in the book of Abraham, when Abraham saw the vision of the noble and great ones, modern revelation tells us that each of us, here on the earth fighting for righteousness in the last days, were among those noble and great ones. 3:23 "And God saw these souls that they were good." He knows your potential and your faithfulness. So, who are you gonna believe: your imperfect, unknowning self, or the perfect God who created you and knows you better than anyone on earth can?

Know that you are good, and go forth with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment